DJI Enterprise, often referred to as DJI, is fast becoming a leader in innovative industrial asset management having deployed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles – Drones, as a solution to collect data from areas that might be difficult to access or present a high level of risk to the personnel. DJI provides innovative solutions that are both dynamic and technologically adaptable in the mining sector.
Due to constantly increasing labour and energy costs, there is pressure on the financial performance of mining operations in Africa; the solution however will be found in adopting efficient technologies. In order to improve efficiency, the African Mining Sector requires rapid advances in technological innovation, including automation, digitization, and electrification. These technologies such as the use of drones are and will continues to have a fundamental impact on the mining sector in Africa. Other technologies reshaping the sector include autonomous vehicles, automated drilling and tunnel boring systems, and smart sensors.
DJI Innovations was established in 2006. In the first five years of its establishment, the company focused on technology accumulation, mainly developing core modules and flight controllers in for the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Industry. In 2012, DJI launched the first multi-rotor flying platform, DJI Flame Wheel, marking the beginning of DJI as a drone manufacturer.
Fast forward to today, DJI has evolved to become the leading drone manufacturer, offering solutions for enthusiasts, professionals, and organizations across the world. This has been possible thanks to unparalleled commitment to R&D, a culture of constant innovation and curiosity, and a focus on transforming complex technology into easy-to-use devices. Building on the ethos of “form follows function,” our products combine advanced technology with dynamic designs.
DJI products are redefining industries. Besides the mining sector, professionals in filmmaking, agriculture, conservation, search and rescue, energy infrastructure, and more trust DJI to bring new perspectives to their work and help them accomplish feats safer, faster, and with greater efficiency than ever before.
Our Drone Solutions
The use of drones in mining and other industries means information can be captured, received, and processed at a much faster rate than traditional methods. From monitoring stockpiles, surveying, mapping, to managing safety and security – the use of drones in the mining industry is growing. Drones help streamline operations by creating accurate site models to allow managers make data-based decisions.
Our Major Platforms
DJI is currently promoting the following drone solutions:
- Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced: Is a compact, ready to flight solution equipped with a 640 x 580 thermal sensor and a 48MP visual camera. Weighting 909g (without accessories) and a flying time of 31 minutes, the M2EA is perfect for plant inspections, project management or security patrol.
- Matrice 300 RTK: The most complete platform in the market. This multi-sensor platform is capable to adapt to the needs of the project. Flight time of 55 minutes and with 45 Ingress Protection rating, this aircraft is built to endure any weather conditions at maximum performance. The Matrice 300 RTK supports up to 3 payloads simultaneously, allowing users to perform complex operations.
Among the compatible payloads we can find:
- Zenmuse H20 Series – Visual Camera, Laser Rangefinder, Wide Angle Camera and Thermal Camera.
- Zenmuse P1 – 45MP full frame sensor photogrammetry camera for high-resolution digital models.
- Zenmuse L1 – Compact LiDAR Sensor to accurate 3D point cloud modeling of complex landscapes.
- Phantom 4 RTK: A compact solution tailored for survey and mapping. Equipped with 20MP camera and RTK positioning module, this solution provides accurate data for 2D or 3D modeling.
Mining Work Scenarios
DJI drones can be deployed for the following uses in a mine.
- Blast Zone Monitoring
- Haul Roads Planning
- Sediment Accumulation in Mine’s Walls
- Stockpile Measurement
- Operations Management (Check daily operations and updated 3D maps of the mine)
- Security Inspection
Benefits of Using Drones
There are several advantages that a mine operation will achieve once DJI solutions are implements. These include:
- Safer Working Conditions for the workers
- Efficient Operations Planning and Management
- Accurate Data for Supply Forecast
DJI works with a network of authorized DJI partners across Africa to guide the new customers on their drone adoption journey. The work of our partners on the ground includes the following: selection of the best solutions, needs assessments, training of personnel and guidance through local drone regulations.
Cost Effective and Efficient
Effective stockpile management is key in mining operations. However, traditional, ground-based methods can be time-consuming, labor-intensive, and expensive. Drones enable mining operators to generate aerial terrain models of their inventory. Their speed, agility and accuracy allow for time-critical analysis and proactive evaluation for stockpile projections, using bespoke or GIS software.
On Covid-19 and Remote Work
Covid-19 has changed the way we work across all industries. With more and more employees having to work remotely, and the avoidance of crowded work environments, digital assets such as drones become more valuable than ever. Having the chance of creating a digital replica of your work field or mine and share it across various teams allow organizations to work remotely, yet more efficiently.